October 7, 2011

Rest In Peace

We live in a scary world today.  This is in part due to Steve Jobs.  I want to thank him. 
I have seen posts on Facebook questioning why his death is such a big deal to so many people.  I ask the same question myself.  Of course I knew he was the CEO of Apple.  Sure, I love my iPod, but what is the big deal about the man who invented it?  I wish I had – I remember those childhood days of trying to catch songs on the radio and hitting “record” to make mixed tapes.    
I did not realize impact he had on such companies as Atari, Pixar, Disney, and of course, Apple.  This man changed the world. 
Today, someone posted a picture of a tweet from Westboro Baptist Church -“Westboro will picket his funeral. He had a huge platform; gave God no glory & taught sin.”  The irony is that this was tweeted from an iPhone. 
I read an opinion piece in the Washington Post.  The author expressed this about the Westboro Baptist Church:
“They are the Publicity Whores of Babylon. If Jesus came back to earth no doubt they would protest at his crucifixion that he had not led a godly enough life (what’s he doing with all those prostitutes and tax collectors?). “Get a haircut!” they’d yell. “And spend more time denouncing homosexuality and less time with that namby-pamby other-cheek-turning nonsense!” They are like the folks in the parable who stand at the front of the house of worship and loudly proclaim their own virtue — and we all know what happens to them.”
Steve Jobs was possibly not the “best” or “nicest” man alive.  Allegedly, he stole from friends, he denied his oldest daughter for seven years (even after having been denied himself and subsequently adopted), prohibited Apple from working with all philanthropic causes, and much more.  Again, I say allegedly.  I did not know him.  I won’t judge him. 
But, I also say this.  So what?  From the other things that I read, he was a brilliant man who was obviously spiritually and emotionally lost at many times in his life.  He may have made huge mistakes and committed wrongs against other people.  Who hasn’t? 
What I do know is this.  God uses all things in this world.  Maybe Steve Jobs was a bad seed, spiritually speaking, and yes, pun intended.  Apple.  Seed.  Ok, that was in poor taste. 
The biggest truth though - no one knew what this man’s heart was like at the end.  I believe God loves us all and wants us all to love Him.  No one knows whether He finally reached through to Steve Jobs at the end.  I can hope that He did. 
God blessed this man with an incredible brilliance and talent.  God used this man’s abilities in ways that are staggering to think about.  We live in a world where information is readily available at our fingertips every moment of every day.  Steve Jobs set the bar for the many technologies that made our society what it is today.
Perhaps, Steve Jobs did not use his technology to promote God.  Ultimately, the way people use what he made available is their choice.  It is their choice to sin even if Steve Jobs offered the Apple to do it.  Do we blame the serpent for Adam and Eve’s sin?  Do we blame a brilliant mind that developed the technologies that allowed other people to sin?  To do that would take away the fact that people make good and bad choices everyday…and are held accountable to those choices.
There was a time in this world when people could not read the Bible.  Most people were illiterate.  Books were hand written by monks and therefore copies were very valuable.  With the invention of the printing press in the fifteenth century, the Bible became more accessible.  That invention helped the people at that time, in that society, in spreading the Gospel.  God knew what was needed at that point in time.  Yes, the printing press was also used in the spread of other written material that did not glorify God.  Did that make the inventor of the printing press bad?  The point is that God will always give us a way to spread His Gospel. 
Six hundred years later, the world is still faced with the same problem of reaching people to share the Gospel.  Accessibility is still a problem, though not for the same reasons as during the fifteenth century.  The technology developed needs to fit the times in which we live.  Our brains are now hardwired to absorb small amounts of information constantly throughout the day due to the technology that we live with due to innovative thinkers like Steve Jobs.   In our busy lives, it is easy to forget to take the time to focus on our faith and our relationship with God. 
But, also thanks to the innovative thinking of Steve Jobs, there are apps for that. 
There are ways to keep connected to information that feeds you spiritually – if you choose to do so.  Technology is not fundamentally evil.  Nor are the people who invent it.  The ways in which people choose to use technology is the real problem.  What we allow into our hearts and minds by way of books, television, movies, computers, music, people we invite into our lives, activities we do – all of it comes down to our choices on how to leverage, or ignore, the resources we have around us. 
I can have a world of information at my fingertips. I can access Bible studies I might have had to go to the store to buy twenty years ago.  I can find worship music online.  I can listen to Christian radio stations all over the country on my computer.  I can get daily devotionals.  I can send spiritually uplifting websites and resources to friends with the click of a button.  I can listen to pastors all over the world preach the gospel.  I can learn about missionary efforts I would have never imagined existed.  I can frequent websites and blogs of other believers. 
When my daughter gets a cell phone one day, she can text me when she is having a bad day and I tell her I love her and I can also text her back with a scripture verse to stand on and hold onto to get her through her storm. 
The biggest advancements in the spread of Christianity have been made in the new ways to pass on the Gospel.  Perhaps Steve Job did not intend on spreading Christianity with his inventions, but they are used to do that nonetheless. 
It is for this that I thank him.  I also thank God for Steve Jobs’ brilliant mind and the amazing contributions he made to society. 
Rest in Peace Steve Jobs.

Sources:


No comments:

Post a Comment